RE: [HAPS-L] Link between type I diabetes and ear infections

Title: RE: [HAPS-L] Link between type I diabetes and ear infections

Otitis media of viral origin in a small child are vexing for patients and physicians: sometimes the tubes are the best shot.

From: HAPS-L-owner@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:HAPS-L-owner@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of VINTON-SCHOEPSKE, CONNIE E.
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 2:06 AM
To: HAPS-L@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [HAPS-L] Link between type I diabetes and ear infections

I am interested in that information.  My daughter had 16 ear infections in her first 18 months of life.  She then had tubes placed in her ears.  She is not diabetic but has had bowel problems ever since she had strep throat really badly as a youngster.  She is now almost 23 and those problems persist.

My youngest daughter started down the same road but we put tubes in much earlier.  She has had no problems at all.  It would be interesting to me to know if there might be some correlation to ear infections and chronic health problems that are developed at a younger age.

In my 29 years of being an RN, this was the first time that anyone has brought that idea forward.  The paper that David found is really interesting.  It is good that someone has been able to potentially find a correlative factor that causes this awful disease.

Connie RN

Connie Vinton-Schoepske

Ozarks Technical Community College

Springfield, Missouri USA