Re: ACL REPAIR MUSCLE [HAPP-L]

I believe I recall that my orthopod. told me that it kind of scars into the
semimembranosus.   I can't believe that it is very useful afterwards:  no
insertion onto bone any more, and probably kind of gets bunched up anyway.

Functionally,  I never seem to notice flexion problems while
skiing-probably because I don't flex that far.  I don't seem to have quite
the power I used to when I do knee curls at the gym.  I also notice some
problems rock climbing:  my affected side doesn't seem to want to flex to
the acute angles that my unaffected side does when I high-step.  That is
partly due to some loss of range of motion due to chronic stiffness in the
knee joint itself (I had kind of a complicated post-op course: a tiny bony
fragment was left in place after the first operation, and I needed to be
re-scoped;  I also had some cartilage damage on the medial femoral
condyle).  I have always wondered whether the semitendinosus is best for
the last part of knee flexion, and the semimembranosus is best for
initiating flexion.  Does anyone know?

At 02:08 PM 10/20/00 -0400, you wrote:
>On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:07:18 -0600 paul.gardner@snow.edu (Paul A. Gardner)
>wrote:
>
>>I worked as an operating room technician for a number of years and
>>scrubbed on ACL repairs numerous times.  The semitendinosus is cut
>>from its insertion.  Its long tendon of insertion stripped of its
>>fibers, cut free from the muscle, and used to replace the ACL.
>

>excuse me if this is a dumb question, but if the tendon of the semitend. is
>used to replace the ACL, what happens to the use of the semitend. muscle?
>

>Harold J. Grau
>Assoc. Prof. - Biology
>Christopher Newport University
>1 University Place
>Newport News, VA 23606-2998
>(757) 594-7946   hgrau@cnu.edu
>
>check out the bugs  -  http://users.cnu.edu/~hgrau
>

>===========   HAPS WEBSITE AT  http://www.hapsweb.org  ======
>send e-mail to HAPP-L-request@scimath.imperial.cc.ca.us
>   In the BODY of the message at the beginning of the
>   first line put ONLY the single word  UNSUBSCRIBE
>The mail being expressed is the responsiblity of the
>original author.HAPS and Imperial Valley College, trustees,
>administration, faculty, etc.disclaim any responsibilities.

Yours truly,

Marc

Marc H. Walters, M.D.		Internet: mwalters@pcc.edu
Biology				Telephone: (503)977-4404