HIV/AIDS question [HAPP-L]

To the clinical & Micro folks on the list:

One of our PT folks passed on these excellent questions from the HS section of our A&P students:

1)  Is C-section delivery safer than vaginal when the mother is HIV - pos?  If so - why?

2) Can the virus travel transplacentally from mother to infant?

3)  Are the HIV antibodies of the class that can cross the placenta?  IF tested based on antibodies, could a newborn test positive, only to show negative after passively acquired Abs degrade?  (Aren't most tests nowadays based on the virus itself, as opposed to the Ab?)

4)  Can the various antiviral cocktails (e.g., AZT and the newer meds) be given during pregnancy?

TIA for your answers.

John Moore
Professor - Parkland College
Sensei - Spirit Dragon Isshin Ryu Dojo