synovectomy [HAPP-L]

Here's a question from one of my students:
	He showed me an article from Popular Mechanics illustrating the removal of
synovial membrane as a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.  The treatment
involved injection of a boron-rich compound into the arthritic joint,
followed by irradiaion with a beam of neutrons.  This renders the boron
radioactive during the bombardment, which damages and removes the synovial
membrane (presumably this is standard treatment for rheumatoid arthritis).
	Here's the question:  does the synovial membrane regenerate as fresh,
healthy membrane, or is the arthritic joint permanently withouth the membrane?

Steven N. Trautwein, Ph.D.
Department of Biology, MS 6200
Southeast Missouri State University
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701-4799