About as bad as it gets--but amusing [HAPP-L]

Most of my students have good enough writing skills to spin a
coherent-sounding, somewhat believable answer to a question they know
absolutely nothing about.  But evey now and then .......   The following
was part of a mid-term exam I just returned to the students.

"What happens to a synovial joint with osteoarthritis (sometimes called
"wear and tear" arthritis)?"

"The joint does not function as well or smoothly with osteoarthritis.  The
ligament that help to hold the joint together become ripped and so fluid
movement doesn't occur as often and it hurts."

Alvin