RE: [HAPS-L] Re: BIOPAC labs

Dear Dr. Ross,
Please note that if you inherited our system, then you most likely have an
old lab manual (if it is the large binder folder, then that is the old style
manual).  We now supply a new and updated lab manual and are also proud to
say that you can now find our lessons in the following lab manuals: Included
in A&P Lab Manuals: Marieb, Pflanzer, Fox, Wood.

The system that you have inherited is now being used by thousands of labs
around the world including the likes of Johns Hopkins, Yale, Duke, Cornell,
N.A.S.A., Wake Forest and many other highly recognized Universities.   We
have an extensive user list and are only too happy to provide you with users
located near by to your location so that you can take a look at their
current set up.

We have software that allows us to log onto your computer and control your
mouse therefore giving us the ability to assist our customers in a way that
is unique to our company.

If we can assist with any questions at all, please feel free to contact us.

Watch a video summary of the Biopac Student Lab...

Our New Manual:  MANBSL3S

Lessons:

Click on the lesson link for more information about each lesson, or go to
the Lessons  portion of our website for a full overview.

       1.. Electromyography I: Standard & Integrated EMG

       2.. Electromyography II: Motor Unit Recruitment & Fatigue

       3.. Electroencephalography I: Relaxation and Brain Rhythms, Alpha,
Beta, Delta & Theta Rhythms

       4.. Electroencephalography II: Alpha Rhythms in the Occipital Lobe

       5.. Electrocardiography I: Components of the ECG

       6.. Electrocardiography II: Bipolar Leads (Leads I, II, III),
Einthoven's Law

       7.. ECG and Pulse: Mechanical Action of the Heart, Peripheral
Pressure Pulse Plethysmography

       8.. Respiratory Cycle I: Respiratory Rates, Relative Depths of
Breathing, Regulation of Ventilation

       9.. Galvanic Skin Response and the Polygraph

       10.. Electro-Oculogram (EOG) I: Eye Movement Saccades and Fixation
During Reading

       11.. Reaction Time I: Fixed and Pseudo-random Intervals

       12.. Pulmonary Function I: Volumes and Capacities

       13.. Pulmonary Function II: Pulmonary Flow Rates, Forced Expiratory
Volume (FEV 1,2,3), Maximal Voluntary Ventilation (MVV)

       14.. Biofeedback: Relaxation and Arousal

       15.. Aerobic Exercise Physiology: Cardiovascular and Respiratory
Adjustments, ECG During and Post-Exercise Ventilation During and
Post-Exercise, Heat Exchange

       16.. Blood Pressure: Indirect BP, Ventricular Systole, Diastole,
Korotkoff Sounds, Mean Arterial Pressure

       17.. Heart Sounds: Cardiac Valve Function, Electrical & Mechanical
Events

     See also: PRO Lessons for Human and Animal subjects.

Results:

Each student is asked to enter his/her name at the beginning of the lesson.
This automatically creates a folder -- in the student's own name -- where
the data is stored. This prevents any confusion when many students are all
using the same system for the same lesson. Students then analyze their data
using our Review

Saved Data Mode. We allow you to make multiple copies of the lesson software
so students can analyze their results on a different computer. This
eliminates the problem of having the Student Lab System hardware tied up
unnecessarily while students analyze their data. While analyzing data,
students can print out sections of their data and take a variety of
measurements. The measurements can be entered into the on-line Journal
facility for further analysis. The Journal file can be printed and the
results turned in with the graphical printouts, as part of the course work.

PRO Software:

To add an additional  layer of sophistication to the lessons, you can use
our PRO software for analysis purposes. This feature allows you to increase
the level of analysis for specific lessons. For example, you can take the
ECG data from our lessons and allow the student to perform a respiratory
sinus arrhythmia analysis. The lessons can also be used as part of an Active
Learning program. More than 35 PRO Lessons are available on the web site.

The PRO software converts the Student Laboratory System into a four channel
data acquisition and analysis system. It gives you all the power of a
full-fledged research machine, providing you with the best of both worlds:
the ultimate teaching system and a hardcore research tool.

Creating your own lessons:

If you want to generate your own lesson templates or use the system for your
own research purposes, use the PRO software. We have a broad range of PRO
Lessons that you can download from this site. Each lesson provides detailed
instructions and a template file for all of the software settings.

PRO Human Lessons:

     Number Summary Description
     H01 Record a 12-lead ECG.
     H03 Nerve Conduction Velocity along the ulnar nerve of a human subject
     H04 Record (noninvasive) blood pressure response to isometric or
straining exercise.
     H05 Record the Wingate Anaerobic Test and complete Wingate Test
calculations.
     H06 Record the finger twitch from a human subject.
     H07 Active Learning Experiment for human EMG
     H08 Active Learning ECG Dive Reflex Experiment
     H09 Auditory Evoked Potential recordings from human subjects
     H10 Electroencephalography (EEG) and Hemispheric Asymmetry
     H11 Sensory-Motor Learning and Electrodermal Activity (EDA)
     H12 EOG: Angular Displacement - Saccade Study
     H13 EOG: Tracking study - Effect of visual stimulation vs. imagination
     H14 EOG: Ocular Fixations while reading (Part one: 3-lead)
     H15 EOG: Ocular Fixations while viewing an  image (Part two: 6-lead)
     H16 Active Learning: Reflexes & Reaction Time
     H17 Biomechanics (Goniometry & EMG)
     H18 Exercise Physiology: Automatic Noninvasive Blood Pressure
     H19 Record and measure oxygen consumption and respiratory exchange
ratio
     H21 Noninvasively record and measure cardiac output and stroke volume
     H22 Visual  Evoked Potential recordings from human subjects (P100
test)
     H23 Record ECG data under different experimental conditions and
perform a Signal Averaged ECG recording for each segment of data.
     H24 Record EDR and Heart Rate response to repeated stimulus to
demonstrate habituation and its probabilistic trend toward decreased
response.
     H25 Schematics and design notes to build Active Filters, Sine Wave
Generator, Logarithmic Amplifier, and Absolute Value Converter with SS39L
and MP30.
     H26 Block diagram to build ECG R-wave detector with SS39L and MP30.
     H27 Record EMG response on the corrugator supercilii & zygomaticus
major muscles.
     H28 Record knee and ankle reflex response with the SS36L Reflex Hammer
transducer. Optional: Use SS20L Goniometer to measure angular movement in
response to varying strike force.
     H30 Record strength of interference between two associative tasks:
naming and reading.
     H31 Record the startle response with and without a prepulse inhibition
stimulus.
     H32 Heart rate variability analysis

PRO Animal Lessons:

     Number Summary Description
     A01 Explanation of how to prepare the Frog for the following frog
experiments: A02, A03 and A04.
     A02 Stimulate the frog gastrocnemius muscle and record threshold
voltage and contractile responses. Option: Stimulate the muscle via the
sciatic (somatic motor) nerve.
     A03 Use the BSLSTM template if you have a BSLSTM stimulator and the
BSLSTMA template if you have the newer BSLSTMA stimulator. Record compound
action potentials of the dissected sciatic (somatic motor) nerve.
     A04 Record cardiac rate and contractile responses of the surgically
exposed frog heart. Option: Study the effects of chronotropic/inotropic
agents on autonomic control of heart rate.
     A05 To study the effects of media ionic composition, temperature, and
various pharmacological agents on the contraction of the visceral smooth
muscle of the rabbit ileum.

       Brett J. Denaro
       Regional Sales Executive

       BIOPAC Systems, Inc